Elijah the Prophet in the wilderness, with scenes from his life
Elijah in the Wilderness, Hagiographic cycle of Elijah the Prophet
Date: XVI century. Middle of the 16th century
Material: Wood, levkas, tempera
Dimensions: height 109 cm, width 82 cm
Elijah the Prophet is portrayed seated on a stone near the dark cavern, his head put on his right hand. The river flow is depicted at his feet, behind his back are high grassy rocky mountains. On one of the pinnacles seats the raven with a slice of bread in its nib. Prophet Elijah is depicted turning to the raven. The borders show the scenes from the life of Elijah the Prophet.
1. The Angels show a child swaddled in fire to the sleeping Sabah, father of Elijah
2. Sabah tells about his vision to the high priests of Jerusalem
3. The Nativity of Elijah
4. The prayer of Elijah in the desert. God commands him to go to the river flow Horav.
5. God commands Elijah to go to Sarepta of Sidon.
6. Elijah meets a widow at the gate of Sarepta of Sidon
7. Repast in the house of the widow.
8. The prayer of Elijah raises the widow’s dead son
9. Elijah casts fire from heaven
10. Elijah talks to tsar Ahab
11. Elijah sacrifices to God
12. Elijah beats the priests of Baal
13. Elijah talks to God
14. Elijah and Elisha cross the Jordan river on dry land
15. Elijah talks to Elisha
16. Fiery ascent of Elijah
Inv. № В-2806 И-1098
© The Vladimir-Suzdal History, Architecture and Art Museum and Reserve
Bibliography: Иконы Владимира и Суздаля. М., 2006. № 34. С.200-204. (Описание Е.В. Гладышевой).