Date: XVI century. Beginning of the 16th century
Material: Wood, tempera
Dimensions: height 75 cm, width 76,7 cm
In the centre and along the edges of the cross are the aureoles with the saints depicted inside. The beams of the cross are decorated with white pigment ornament against the reddish brown background. The obverse side is covered with the floriated ornament and the reverse side is decorated with the diamond-shaped netting with “pearls” inside. The cross is similar to the one from the pogost Lyadiny in the Kargopolsky district, Arkhangelskaya region, from the Hermitage collection. The Cherepovets cross has a specific feature: the yellow background of the aureoles and the scenes on the reverse. If the images of Sts. Nicholas, George and Demetrius are conventional for this type of crosses, the depiction of Joachim and Anne is a specific trait of this particular cross. Probably in the name of these saints the temple was consecrated, however, instead of the righteous Anne who was to be in couple with Joachim is Anne of Bethany.
1. Christ Pantocrator
2. Our Lady
3. John the Baptist
4. Archangel Michael
5. Archangel Gabriel
1. Nicholas the Wonderworker
2. Anne, St.
3. Demetrius of Thessaloniki, St.
4. Joachim, St.
5. George, St.
Was deposited in 1931 as part of the pre-revolutionary collection of the museum, previous location is unknown.
Restoration: МежСНРПМ, 1984, restorer – Rybakov A.A.
Inv. №655/70. © Cherepovets Museum Association.
Куликова О.В. Древние лики Русского Севера. Из музейного собрания икон XIV-XIX веков города Череповца. М., 2009. С. 15-16, кат. № 17 (Илл. 17, 17а).