John the Forerunner

Iconography:  John the Forerunner, prophet and baptist

Date: XVI century. First third of the 16th century.

Origin: The icon was deposited in the museum in 1941 as part of the Deesis row of iconostasis from the church commemorating the Intercession in the village of Gumenets in Rostovskiy district. The icons were transferred there in 1824 from the church commemorating Demetrius of Thessaloniki in the village of Ponikarovo of Rostovskiy district.

Material: Wood, canvas, levkas, tempera

Dimensions:  height 96 cm, width 67 cm

Waist-length depiction of John the Forerunner in a three-quarter turn.

Inv. № И-544. © State Rostov-Yaroslavl Architecture and Art Museum-Reserve

Bilbiography: Вахрина В.И. Иконы Ростова Великого. М., 2006. № 18. С. 100-102.

  • General view