Miracle of Saint George and the dragon
Iconography: George and the Dragon
Date: XVII century. Second half of the XVIIth century
Iconographic school/art center: Pomorye
Origin: was deposited from the church of Nativity of the Mother of God in the village of Ludy, Primorsky district, Archangelskaya region (1862).
Material: Wood, cut-back central portion, levkas, tempera
Dimensions: height 77 cm, width 56 cm
The centre of the icon shows saint George on horseback slaying the dragon. The composition includes the depiction of tsarina Elisava, holding the dragon in a leash and also the tsar, the tsarina and the court outside the walls of the town. In the upper left corner is the blessing right hand of God.
Registration number ДРЖ-1609. © State Museum Association «Art Culture of the Russian North»
Иконы Русского Севера. Шедевры древнерусской живописи Архангельского музея изобразительных искусств. М., 2007. Т. 2. № 128. С. 132.